Friday, December 30, 2016

The Invitation and the Egg

Yesterday, over my favorite Korean soft tofu soup, I pondered generosity.  In case you have never had this soup, it is quite dramatic - it comes boiling hot  in a small cauldron and is accompanied by several bowls of different pickled vegetables and other curious bites. It cannot be eaten quickly, and because of the variety of condiments, every bite is just a bit different. It can be served as spicy as you dare. This is soup over which you must take time to linger over and savor.    
  
What got me to thinking about generosity was the young waitress who brought a small bowl with a white unshelled egg sitting in it. She asked if I would like to add the egg to my soup. I declined because that while I do like to cook eggs in soups, I thought I was already sitting before a large cornucopia of deliciousness. However, the image of that young woman offering me an egg with my soup has stayed with me.  I am thinking that I should have accepted her gracious offer.

A few days ago, we had family in town and this house was full of conversations. We had the gift of being able to spend time with one another. There was silly banter, and serious discussions. There was catching up to do, and some reminiscing to enjoy. I was reminded that conversation needs both generosity and hospitality. Like good music, it consists of the give and take of ideas and silence, and we need to be willing to share ourselves, both as speakers and listeners. If we are to let what we are hearing and experiencing take root in our minds and hearts, time is needed, and time is often in short supply in our society. However, my work with SpiritCare has taught me that no matter how much we value our busyness, or how much we try to hide behind it or hold it up as a banner or a shield, there will come a day when we can no longer carry it. We will find ourselves without the strength, energy, or interest to hold its weight. Yes, there is a paradox here. If we dare to become less, we actually can become more. There is more room for others, and consequently, more room for God. We can live more fully into the love in which we are created. From what I have seen, I encourage us all to to make room now, rather than later. 

 Much good conversation has been started here at the end of 2016 because many of us are giving serious thought to what we truly value for ourselves, our families, our communities, and our nation.  Let us continue to speak from the heart, and listen to the hearts of others. Now is the time to be generous with ourselves.    

Yes, next time, I think I just might need to accept the generous offering of an egg. Next time, I just might invite someone to join me. I think that is what 2017 is going to be about: the realization that there is indeed time and room at our tables for one another. Let us come together, regardless of what is set before us. This is what God has always called us to do.      
I am giving thought to bringing people together once a month, here in our home, in the spirit of a house church, for a meal and conversation. If you are interested, and live in the bay area, please let me know. Right now, I am thinking the evening of the second Friday of the month.  If you are interested, but that evening does not work for you, do not hesitate to let me know that as well. A Saturday is a definite possibility.  You do not need to worry about committing to every month, and I promise, I do not know how to make fiery Korean soft tofu soup. If you do not eat eggs, that is fine as well.     
  
Many blessings in the upcoming year.  Let us continue to come together. 
      
   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment