Saturday, February 18, 2017

Thank you, Love

My voice gave out today.  I am always tempted to think that I can force it, trick it, or work around it, but of course, I cannot.  So, with a croak, I asked the eclectic group that had been gathered, "Please tell me about Jesus." Johnnie, who continues to struggle with what she calls "the darkness", spoke first:  "The warm feeling that comes over me."  Pamela added, "He is with me when I am feeling good; he is there when I am in the valley. He tells me to rest."  Alex, whose body is never still, said, "The voice that got me off the street and helps me get through my alcoholism."  A few answers I could not decipher, but regardless I thanked everyone for their answers. I know they have not had easy lives. Poverty, addiction, mental illness, and homelessness have laid rocky paths, and I could not tell you how old, or how young these residents are. I do not think I have ever heard any of them actually say the word love. However, I can tell you we are always greeted with exuberance when we arrive.

After the service, the three of us waited in the hall for the door to the reception area to be unlocked.  One of the volunteers said, "It seems a shame to lock all this love away."  I agree. So, I share with you their love.  The love they call Jesus.     
   

No comments:

Post a Comment