Saturday, February 25, 2017

Connections

Pauline, who lives in a community dedicated to those with Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia, reminded me that she is Jewish. I was grateful that she did because I had indeed forgotten. She then asked if Jesus was Jewish, and over the next half hour, she repeated the question four or five times. Last month she asked that question only once, so it does appear that her short-term memory is beginning to fail. Regardless, she does find comfort in knowing that she and Jesus come from the same tradition. "After all," she often asks, "who doesn't like Jesus?" I enjoy our conversations very much. This week, she added something very wise: "Maybe it is not our particular faith that matters, but rather how we practice it." 

I think Jesus would agree. 
   
 
     
    

No comments:

Post a Comment