Thursday, August 11, 2016

Rule

A book that I am grateful that I have held on to is Always We Begin Again, The Benedictine Way of Living, by John McQuiston II. McQuiston had been inspired by Esther de Waal's book, Living with Contradiction: Reflections on the Rule of St. Benedict.  During the weekend of his father's funeral, McQuiston had confided to an Episcopalian priest that "going to church" was proving to be less and less meaningful for him. The priest suggested that he read de Waal's book. As her writing "sank into his bones" he began to write his own rule.  
  
Over the past few weeks, I have been pondering my own rule, and even have outlined a general one.  I think I have come to this because of the realization that my willy-nilly style  of living needs some shoring up in the third part of my life. As I continue to serve those in long-term care communities, particularly those who are close to my age, I know I am not alone in this. I find it interesting that last night I dreamed that I was going to prison, but when I did not know.  I was, of course, concerned about this sentence.  Yet, after a couple of conversations and even dashing up and down a poorly lit street, I had a thought: that no matter where I went, I would go as a chaplain. "Well, if I must go, I will go as their chaplain." In the dream and in this moment, I find comfort in that idea.  It is akin to, "No matter where you go, there you are."  What is added is the belief that  I still have a role to fulfill. Whatever we must face in life, our choice is, do we  turn it into a prison or a monastery?    
I will be exploring McQuiston's rule and my own over the next few weeks.  For those of you who receive my reflections via email, do remember that they are posted on Facebook and my blog. If you prefer to not receive so many emails, just let me know, and I will delete your address.  Some of my rule may seem silly. While it probably is, issues of balance and flexibility are anything but silly.  As I outlined these steps, I realized I am, at heart, a simple person, and it is a waste of time to be anyone other than that.     
My Daily Rule   
Express gratitude
Stand on tip-toe 
Balance on one leg, then the other
Get down on the floor, and get back up
Pray and/or meditate 
Read a devotional
Gaze upon or listen to something beautiful 
Eat, and take delight in something fresh 
Share a meal with someone if possible
Make the bed
Take note of dreams
Honor responsibilities 
See God in all
Tend to another living creature
Forgive others and myself
Get fresh air 
Tidy something up 
Give away, recycle, or re-purpose an item no longer in use
Let someone know I am thinking about them  
Do something just for fun
Trust in tomorrow
Laugh
Bow and give thanks     
   
Blessings to each of you as you make your way through this world. You have been given unique gifts. Please share them.  I pray your compass will always bring you back to the Divine Presence that resides within. Know that you are loved and you do not travel alone; look for your fellow travelers and cherish them. Know what you value. Hold lightly, but do hold on.      

1 comment:

  1. Since creating the rule, I have added two more items: laugh and bow. I am so grateful to have written this rule. It helps keep me focused and optimistic.

    ReplyDelete