Monday, August 8, 2016

I Hear Music (or Maybe Not)

When I walked into a small memory care community last week, I was surprised to see George sitting in his room.  I peaked my head in and wished him good morning.  He looked up, smiled his crooked smile, and returned the greeting.  I could not help but ask why he was not in the activity room with the others.  "Oh, I am so tired of  that music. We get it all the time." I tuned my ear and heard strains of "I Left My Heart in San Francisco."  I had to agree with him; I would not care if I never heard that piece of music again. 
 
A deeper truth is that George did not feel well.  I figured this out when I invited him to worship, and he replied, "No, I think I will stay here. I will be able to hear you."  This sense deepened when later I later served him communion. Normally, he wants to receive the wafer in his hand, but this time, in the privacy of his room, he simply received it in his mouth.  When I stopped by one more time on my way out, he was sound asleep. I know he loves hymns, and I hope they brought him some comfort as he drifted off.    

Every once in awhile, I hear comments like the one George made.  I wrote earlier of the Viet Nam veterans who reside in a skilled nursing community. In the evenings they have a choice of either listening to big band music or sitting in their rooms.  I think of a recent visit with Sarah. She was so happy that a singer/guitarist  had recently come to perform his original songs in both English and Spanish.  She, too, is bilingual. Her body may be failing, but her mind is very much intact. "It was so good to hear something current.  We tend to get the same kind of music all the time. Besides, his Spanish was very good!"   

We all have read, heard, and hopefully experienced the healing powers of music.  Certainly, the pianists and other musicians who generously volunteer their time with SpiritCare enrich our ministry many times over. I cannot tell you how many times a piece of music has touched me deeply and given me strength.  Yet, as in all of life, no one size (or music) fits all. This may be especially true in skilled nursing, rehab hospitals, and convalescent homes where a wide variety of ages, health concerns, and cultures reside, work, and interact. My role is not one of entertainer, activity director, or anything else. I simply show up as the bearer of the news that God's love is for all.  I am grateful for the focus.  Yet, as helpful as one voice can be, sometimes a chorus is needed.  Please, join us when you can. No, you do not need to be a musician. Some of our most gifted volunteers come to simply be present.  I do my best to stay out of their way as their gifts of friendship and presence unfold. A sweet melody rises, and peace is given some room.     
 
With truth on our tongues, 
with gratitude as our friend, 
we are in harmony with the universe, 
as we hold hands with all the people. 
The chains of oppression are broken, 
the fetters of injustice unbound. 
The realm of Peace and Love shall reign. 
 
Psalm 149 
Nan C. Merrill 
Psalms for Praying 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment