Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Hearing

As I left the skilled nursing community, I noticed three women carrying identical portable  stools.  I saw no instruments but I thought they must surely be musicians. We greeted one another and they confirmed they were singers.  At that moment I realized they were probably with the Threshold Choir, those generous souls who sing at the bedside of those whose physical lives are coming to an end. They confirmed that was their quest today.  We blessed and thanked one another. One of them then said, "We heard you singing."  I laughed and said, "Yes, the pianist who usually joins us is with family today. We keep going, though."  I hold on to a couple of sets of simpler song sheets just for occasions such as these.   

As I walked away, I thought that if I were at the end of my life, I would appreciate someone whispering in my ear, "We heard you singing. We heard your song." I honestly believe that would be enough. Carol, who now sits in the corner attached to  oxygen sang today. The energetic  activity assistant who at the moment was dressed in a grass skirt (getting ready for a luau party the next day) played tambourine and sang today.  Bob and Mary, both quiet, but who always seem to intently read the song sheets just might be singing in their hearts.  Doris, who is often very anxious and fidgety, did not sing, but her body grew still.  I heard them all singing, and every once in awhile, I thought I might have even heard their songs.     
 
Praise God with trumpet sound; 
praise her with lute and harp. 
Praise her with tambourine and dance...
Let everything that breathes 
praise God.

Psalm 150:3-4,6


A note on the the attached photograph: I took this picture while in a consignment shop in Mountain View.  The figure is painted on supple sheepskin.  I did not buy it because I could not imagine a piece of sheepskin hanging in our house.  Yet, her liveliness makes me smile and I am grateful for her praise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment