Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Mary Weeps

Hail Mary full of Grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed are thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus. Holy Mary Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. 

This morning I received an email devotional indicating that today is the feast day of the Assumption of Mary. I do not think that is correct. That feast day is August 15, but my knowledge of the Catholic tradition is limited. Regardless, after reading about the Brussels suicide bombings, I found I could take solace in the prayer above. I often feel Mary's presence in skilled nursing communities. I believe a lot of prayers are lifted to her, and occasionally I am blessed and humbled to hear the soft murmuring of those devotions. This morning, I must add one of my own.   
   
Holy Mother, I know you weep this morning for the suffering and needless deaths of your children. Be with those who are mourning, frightened, misguided, and hurt.  Help us to turn from the seduction and illusion of death, and learn to celebrate and share the fruit of this life.  I thank you for your guiding presence in the halls and at the bedside of the elders I serve.  My tears join yours, so I know they are not in vain.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment