Sunday, March 6, 2016

Happy Birthday, Ms. B.

I walked into the activity room to find one of the beloved elders already there.  We greeted one another with hugs.  She then patted the chair next to her and said that her friend was celebrating her birthday. I knew whom she was talking about because the two of them have sat together in worship for several years now. I asked her if Ms. B. (definitely not what we call her) was with her daughter.  Alice replied, "I am not sure. I know they went out last night."  However, in just a few minutes Ms. B. did join us.  We celebrated with singing "Happy Birthday," and dear George gave her a small box of chocolates.  He keeps a stash of these gift boxes just for such moments.  Ms. B.'s 95th birthday is certainly such a time. 
 
Afterwards, I talked to Ms. B.  We have talked often of her struggles with depression.  She misses her husband. Her energy is lagging, and her vision is deteriorating.  Yet today, she took my hand as she always does, smiled and said, "I know I am blessed."  I pray this knowing will stay with her.  Yet, what is really wonderful is how much she is loved by the worshiping community whether she is feeling blessed, or she is feeling blue. Here, everyone is a friend, and ultimately, love is what endures.
 
And yes, Ms. B. is going out again tonight. 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment