Monday, December 7, 2015

Psalm 149

Psalms for Praying
Nan C. Merrill
  
For the Beloved dwells within,
journeying with us through
all our lives,
leading us in truth and love.
The humble are adorned with honor;
the faithful exult in glory,
singing for joy
with thankful hearts.
  
In one of the retirement homes I serve, I  am blessed to lead worship twice a month. Other pastors lead on the rest of the Sundays, so there is a vein of consistency and relationship that is nurturing for all of us, including the much loved pianist who plays most Sundays.  When I arrived yesterday, George, who is one of the residents, was already there, and he and I began setting up the room.  He is younger than the rest of the residents who gather with us, and while the home is beautiful, I often have wondered why he was living there at this stage of his life. I took advantage of our few minutes together to ask him where he grew up. 

"Bolivia," he responded.  "I came to the United States to study mathematics. In my last semester, I was in a terrible car accident.  I had severe back and brain injuries and was in the hospital for six months. I still have many problems."  

I asked him if he was ever able to return to school.  "Yes. After I got out of the hospital, I did finish.  It was very difficult because I had almost no memory.  Up until my accident, I made straight A's. My last semester I struggled to make C's, but I am proud that I was able to finish."  

He then added, "We never know what life has in store for us, but this has worked out well for me.  I am actually a caregiver." Because I have never seen the man he assists, I never thought he was there in a caregiving role.  It does seem to be a good solution for them both. 
  
Tonight, as I ponder George and his tenacity, I give thanks to the retired chaplain who was lived in this home and who reached out to the various pastors and a pianist to make certain that regular Protestant services would be available for the residents. After his wife died, he moved to live with his daughter, and he has since passed. None of the residents who worship with us now knew him, but we all continue to benefit from his spiritual legacy. I am grateful.           
  
Holy One, thank you. You do knit us together in surprising ways.    
  
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment