Sunday, December 6, 2015

Psalm 148

Psalms for Praying
Nan C. Merrill     
   
Let all people praise the Beloved,
who is exalted in heaven
and on earth;
whose glory is above
heaven and earth.
 
For all are to be called friends,
companions to the true Friend,
giving their lives joyfully
as co-creators and
people of peace.
Praise to the Blessed One,
the very Breath of our breath,
the very Heart of our heart.   
   
 
Friends, we are coming to the end of our journey through Merrill's psalms, although I am sure they will continue to appear in my writings.   Psalm 1 was sent on June 15.  Summer was already underway and the drought deepened.  What came up for me in this regular practice is that in the midst of so many reports of violence, and a rising tide of arrogance and intolerance for others in our own society, the voice of Love is unwavering.  At times, sitting here and turning the page to another psalm felt silly to me. Yet, once I could get my ego out of the way, I was reminded that the loyalty to Love is what faith is. 
 
While obviously there is much I love about Merrill's renditions, I have been sparing you the heavy use of exclamation points that runs through her work.   I seldom missed the more traditional translations of the psalms, but at times her renditions do seem to wander pretty far.  However, my commitment to eliminate the word enemy deepened, even in these profoundly troubled times.  Defending our human constructed ideologies is destroying our humanity and our planet.  We are abusing every sacred gift in the quest to make certain we are seen as right, supreme, and strong.   That is not worship, regardless of what name you call God.  
 
I believe my ministry with SpiritCare changed and deepened during this time. I am into the eighth year of this ministry, and am in the last third of my life.  While yes, many of those I serve have lived very long lives, I feel more and more that I am simply moving among fellow human beings.  Yes, some are older than me,  but many are younger.  This is a slight, but profound shift.  I believe I do my deepest work in skilled nursing, rehab hospitals, and in communities serving those with dementia.  In these communities I often have a sense of entering a monastery where illusions slip away, or at times are yanked off, layer by layer.  It is here that the constant reminder that we are all God' children can truly be a healing balm for this new and tender skin.  Every once in awhile, a young activity assistant will ask me where I go to church.  I am hoping that First Church in Redwood City is a central enough location that they just might visit or maybe even join us.  Some of these young women and men I have grown very fond of. Many do their work with such full hearts that at times I feel I should kneel as I watch them move among the frail and ill.  Most have long commutes, and often must work every day to make ends meet for their families. Some of their work environments are stark.  It is here where I acutely feel Jesus' presence, encouraging me to continue the practice of showing up in love.   I now know many of the assistants are feeling that same presence.   I want them to remember that.    
  
As I walk, photograph, and write, I also have come to feel closer to the Jesus who walked and noticed vineyards, flowers, stones, and mountains. Several of you have asked me, "Well, what next?".  I think I am going to spend some time in the gospels.    
 
Today, Christians are lighting the candle of peace.  May we remember that our hearts are the Bethlehem that we sing about.  The place where Christ can always be born anew, if we but make room.  
 
For my friends in chilly wintery climes, and for those who are ill or weary, I give you the color yellow today.   Thank you all for your presence in my life.  You, too, are part of this monastery that is dedicated to serving the living body of Christ.  Blessings on your journey.
 
Love,
Sue Ann    
   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment