Friday, December 4, 2015

Psalm 146

Psalms for Praying
Nan C. Merrill 
  
Put not your trust in riches,
in illusionary things 
that fade away.
For when the day comes
to depart this world,
at that very time,
we carry only the love
imprinted on our soul.  
      
 
Yesterday, just as I turned on the street where a convalescent hospital I serve is located, the wind came up, the rain began, and leaves were suddenly flying off the many trees that  that line that block. The transition from fall to winter was happening all at once.  Leaves of various shapes, sizes, and colors were swirling everywhere.  I was in a whirlwind of color and motion.  As I mundanely searched for a parking space, I looked to my left, and in the midst of falling leaves and rain, I noticed a man with a leaf blower, vainly trying to do his job of clearing a parking lot. His efforts were futile.   The leaves refused to be corralled. This was their moment to be wild. 
 
This morning I sat for a few minutes and watched and listened to a video of Segovia playing "Danza in G."   With so much seemingly going so wrong in the world, I am grateful that Segovia picked up an instrument and dedicated his life to playing it.   

We must love the world.  We can only tame ourselves.  
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment