Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Released

 This poem by Rabia is a gift for those of us who feel that our creativity is ebbing.   When I first read it, I smiled. I am smiling now.  I believe I am a little freer to love.  I am reminded of Brother Lawrence finding God among the pots and pans of his monastery.  I think of Martha, and want to  say, "I will help. Thank you."  Not to turn away from Jesus, but to pray.    

Daniel Landisky writes that Rabia of Basra (c. 717-801) was born into poverty in ancient Mesopotamia.  Supposedly her father had a dream where the Prophet Muhammad appeard to him and advised him that his daughter would be revered as a saint.  However, she would become separated from her parents, and eventually sold to a brothel.  There she lived and worked until she was 50 when she was given her freedom. She  then devoted her life to meditation and prayer.  It is said she had the ability to heal others. Of her time in the brothel she wrote, "What a place for trials and transformation did my Lover put me, but never once did He look upon me as if I were impure. Dear sisters, all we do in this world, whatever happens, is bringing us closer to God."   
   
Slicing Potatoes  
 
It helps, 
putting my hands on a pot, on a broom, 
in a wash 
pail.   
  
tried painting, 
but it was easier to fly slicing 
potatoes.     
   
Love Poems from God, Daniel Ladinsky   
photograph: San Leandro, January 2021     
   



   
    
If you are interested in taking part in Christian Meditation during Lent, let me know.  Two sessions a week will be offered: Tuesday afternoons and Wednesday evenings. Specific details to follow, but if you think one of these might fit your schedule,  you would be most welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment