Thursday, February 4, 2021

The Temple Door

 I was speaking with a friend yesterday and I mentioned that Daniel Ladinsky's book, Love Poems from God included poems attributed to St. Francis.  I expressed my  surprise, saying I did not think of St. Francis as a poet.  She reminded me of his singing to Brother Sun and Sister Moon and other canticles.  


 The poems are lovely, and I am finding them humbling.  Like good conversations, dreams, and prayers, poems can open the doors to our soul. There God is.      
    
NO ONE KNOWS HIS NAME 
  
No one 
knows his name - 
a man who lives on the streets 
and walks around in rags. 
 
Once I saw that man in a dream. 
He and God were constructing 
an extraordinary 
temple.     
 
The poet Rabia suggested that everyone should have a secret name for God.  I have long wrestled with how to address God,  particularly when I am preaching and praying in public.  Yet, the idea of a private name stayed with me, and this morning I woke with that name in my heart.  I am grateful.  Yes, it is a name that has been with me all along. I just never heard it calling.  
  





   
photograph:  San Leandro, February 2021      
    

   

No comments:

Post a Comment