Tuesday, February 16, 2021

A Poem in Preparation for Ash Wednesday

 It Is Enough 


To know that the atoms
of my body
will remain
to think of them rising
through the roots of a great oak
to live in
leaves, branches, twigs
perhaps to feed the
crimson peony
the blue iris
the broccoli
or rest on water
freeze and thaw
with the seasons
some atoms might become a
bit of fluff on the wing
of a chickadee
to feel the breeze
know the support of air
and some might drift
up and up into space
star dust returning from
whence it came
it is enough to know that
as long as there is a universe
I am a part of it.
 
~ Anne Alexander Bingham   
First Sip   
    

A week or so ago, I posted a poem by Rabia that suggested that we have a personal name for God. I have taken refuge in that poem and the name that came to me the following morning.  For Ash Wednesday, I suggest that we write a letter to God, addressing God by this personal name.  In the letter we can tell  God what we want to let go of, and where we need help.  Let us try to be honest, but hopefully, we can sign our  name with love, knowing it is okay if we cannot. Then, if you like, you can burn the letter or tear it up.   If you would like these remnants blessed,  the San Lorenzo Church will be holding an Ash Wednesday service at 7:00 p.m.  You can then release them as you see fit.  Let me know if you would like the Zoom link.  You are welcome to join us for this short service.     
   
The photograph is from a few years ago but I do not remember the location.  I like the idea of releasing my ashes, or even having my own ashes released,  in a field of poppies.  Yes, that would be enough.


       


No comments:

Post a Comment