Wednesday, July 29, 2020

The Present

The month of July ended up being partially dedicated to bringing some of my medical procedures current.  I visited my dentist, and I made several trips to Kaiser for blood work, a pneumonia vaccination, and a mammogram.  
On my first trip to Kaiser, I was running a little late.  In this time of a pandemic, I find most scheduling to be a little off, but not being on time still makes me nervous. When I arrived at the front door of the medical building, I discovered everyone had to enter through the hospital.  I picked up my pace, and walked on. 

When I arrived, my intention was to move quickly through the hospital door, and once inside, get my bearings.   However, before I could put that plan into place, I was greeted by a pleasant young woman who told me that first I needed to stop by one of the outdoor hand washing stations.  I had walked right by them, but I never once thought they were there for me to actually use.  I retraced some of my steps  and placed my hands under one of the faucets.  Nothing happened.  Oh, yes.  I needed to press the pedal with my foot. After washing and drying my hands, I could then proceed.  For the second visit I was more efficient with the routine, but in the third visit, I felt a change come over me as I washed. I remembered that I was entering a place of healing.   As I dried my hands, I looked up and noticed a  pregnant young woman.  As I walked, I then saw an older woman trying to help a very frail elder get out of the passenger side of the car. Also in my view was a man walking slowly, relying on the help of a cane.  I was humbled to witness these stages of life, and to remember my own body.  I understood that the cool water, the soft foaming soap, and the rough paper towel were Communion elements.  I gave thanks as I entered the door.     
   
"When all three inner spaces [mind, heart, and body] are open and listening together, we can always be present. To be present is to know what you need to know in the moment. To be present to something is allow the moment, the person, the idea, or the situation to change you."
 Richard Rohr, Breathing Under Water, 2011, page 10. 
    
   
photograph:  San Leandro, July 2020  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment