Friday, July 24, 2020

The Gift of Story

Some of my posts originate as an email. I am needing to tend to that list as Google is becoming less tolerant of blind copies so I have asked people to confirm that they do want to be on the list.
+++
My gratitude to you who have said that you want to continue to receive emails. Many of you have journeyed with me for over a decade. As the psalmist sings in Psalm 139, "Such knowledge is beyond me, far too lofty for me to reach." I am humbled. I actually started this practice many years ago when I was still employed in downtown San Francisco. We had an in-house computer memo system and I would often send quotes to my co-workers. I suppose it is an audacious practice, but I believe that words, pulled together in some sort of cohesive form, can be useful signposts and resting places on our journeys.
The United Church of Christ has been offering a weekly webinar, "Thursdays for the Soul." These have covered a variety of topics, and this week's offering was Rev. Catherine Foote reading a story from her book, "Shepherding the Seasons." The webinar was entitled, "Story Time and Barn Tour." I was not familiar with Rev. Foote, but I thought listening to a story might offer a gentle respite. Besides, I love barns.
Rev. Foote considers herself a shepherd of both a flock of sheep and a flock of UCC congregants. She lives about 25 miles outside of Seattle on Whidbey Island. After she spends part of her morning tending to her animals, she usually rides her motorcycle to the ferry, and after disembarking, motors on to her church in Seattle. She is not a young woman, but certainly a resourceful one. Her story gave me confidence that she is a fine shepherd, no matter who she is tending.
I wept for an hour. The story she read was one of searching for a lost lamb. Her assistant was a loyal and determined Border Collie. It had a happy ending, and she even took her computer outside so we could see some of her sheep, including the lamb that lost its way. I was reminded of Jesus who tells us that the lost will be searched for. I was also reminded of his tendency to teach by telling a story. That is certainly how many of us learn valuable lessons. I pray parents and grandparents are still sharing stories with their children. We need to give Wisdom a voice.
This morning I am still a little weepy. I think I am finally at the point where I dare to return to my own writings and try to tend to them, maybe as a good shepherd would. I have dared to enroll in a writer's workshop that will be offered by Pilgrim Press in October. I have also applied for some one to one guidance. For this, I will need to submit four or five pages of my writing by the end of August.
So dear friends, I may be asking for feedback along the way, and you will no doubt be reading meditations you might have read before. I thank you in advance.
Blessings as you tend to those you love.

The photograph was taken here in San Leandro in July of 2020. I am drawn to it because it makes me feel that I am looking at a vast and strange landscape. Maybe someday I will be fortunate enough to take some pictures of some sheep. I do find them intriguing.    
   

No comments:

Post a Comment