Monday, November 25, 2019

Unending the Journey

Yesterday I preached twice on the story of Zechariah.  I love everything about that story.  Because I have had a cold and consequently  lost my voice for a couple of days,  I found a new meaning in Zechariah's silence; a silence that led him to simply go home and wait for Gabriel's pronouncement to come to fruition in the birth of his son who would be named John.   The resulting Canticle of Zechariah that is spoken after his long silence is beautiful,  and I am always inspired by the verse, "And you, child, will be called the prophet of the Most High; for you will go before the Lord to prepare his ways (Luke 1:76). "  I envision an awe struck father holding a tiny baby, and lovingly baptizing him with a true seeing.  I feel those words are for any of us who dare to call ourselves Christian.  The love inspired in us can help make the way known for others because we know we all are tenderly held in divine love. We are all children of God. 
 
Yet, calling ourselves Christian and letting Christ live within us are not necessarily one and the same.  In the afternoon when I preached a second time at New Community of Faith,  it was the last verse of the canticle,  "to guide our feet into the way of peace," that resonated deeply for me. Sometimes this small congregation, like many, struggles to be at peace with one another. Yet, in that moment, I sensed a deep love in that sanctuary, a presence that is willing to guide us.   
 
I have been pondering the attached photograph for a few days, thinking that it signified a tree of life for me.  However, this morning I think again of the way of peace.  It is indeed a path that is not always smooth.  While it can begin broad and wide with lots of room for us and all the baggage that we insist on carrying, the channel will inevitably grow narrow, sometimes frightfully so.  In order to make our way through that narrow gate, we may need to discard much. That is exactly what Jesus encourages us to do: to not only take the narrow gate, but actually seek it out. We may fear leaving behind attachments, but both scripture and this photograph remind me that no matter how narrow the gate, we are on a path that never ends.  Let us learn to walk it in peace, revealing Emmanuel, "God with us", to all who fear they are on a dead end road.   Even if we are, the good news is we can always turn around.      
   
   

photograph:  San Leandro, November 2019 

No comments:

Post a Comment