Monday, March 5, 2018

Psalm 84

Coming across Psalm 84 is like turning the corner and seeing an old friend. I have always loved the image of a sparrow nesting in the temple.  I think of Anna and Simeon. I think of those in long-term care.  I think of the Lenten journey and I give thanks.    
   
O how I love you, God, your presence is my home, my high abode. 
I to go to be with you, my longing draws me there 
Where flesh and bone, and heart and soul flame up 
in joy that's yours, O Living One.
Sparrows have their nests and swallows build right next to you. 
Your temple altar is their safest keep, 
where they may lay their eggs and hatch their young. 
Anyone who lives near you is filled with higher purpose, 
and fuller joy. 
What else is there to do but go on praising you?
And joy fills all who gain their strength from you, 
who walk upon the pilgrim's path 
with hearts secure in yours. 
And though their journeys lead through desert wastes, 
even there they find that secret springs await them. 
The early rains you sent have filled the pools before they get there. 
Their descending pathways through the valleys deep
 in truth, are great ascents, 
leading upwards and further into you, 
until at last on mountain peaks they stand 
to see the shining visage of your face. 
Lord God of everything that is, God of my heart, 
listen to this humble prayer. 
Defend me now by simply looking at my face.
Your look will be for me a healing oil that covers all. 
To be with your for just one day is better far than 
having spent a thousand secured in my own room. 
Simply standing at the threshold of your door is so much more
than dwelling in the vast and wealthy holdings 
of the wicked-wise.
O God, you are for us the shining sun, the shielding shade, 
and both become the fullness of your grace and glory. 
And as we seek you on this pathway, we are found by good, 
and nothing lasting is withheld from all who walk 
with deep integrity of life, 
for they shall come to trust and find you in eternal rest. 
And then, O God, all life will be drenched with happiness and joy. 
   
Psalm 84, 
Ancient Songs Sung Anew, 
Lynn C. Bauman  
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment