Tuesday, March 6, 2018

An Invitation

I got it into my head to host a poetry Lectio Divina on the 4th Thursday of the month at Hesed Community.  The first reading will be March 22 at 7:00.  So now comes the time for sifting through poetry for one that is not too short, not too long, and definitely not one with no hope. In last night's dream the name Rimbaud came to me, but I can't say his poetry ever really spoke to me. I also dreamed of a candle that refused to be extinguished. I think this may prove to be a curious journey, so if you want to join me, please do so. I would love some company.  Hesed meets at First Congregational Church in Oakland, 2501 Harrison Street. Park in the back, go down the stairs or the ramp, go through the door, turn left and go down the hall, through a gathering room. Our small meditation room is on the left.  There are signs.    
   
Whenever I am feeling unsure, I think of this poem by R.S. Thomas who was both a poet and an Anglican priest. I believe he guides me more than I realize.     
    
When we are weak, we are 
strong. When our eyes close 
on the world, then somewhere
within us the bush
burns. When we are poor
and aware of the inadequacy
of our table, it is to that
uninvited the guest comes.
     
  

No comments:

Post a Comment