Thursday, February 8, 2018

Psalm 81

Part of my Lenten fast has begun. I decided to start early because it is time to stop complaining about my commute. I realized that such disgruntled monologues and dialogues weren't doing anyone any good,  and the last thing our roadways need is one more unhappy driver.  Yesterday I began listening to a CD by Father Lawrence Freeman entitled, "Relationship with Jesus." I can't listen to fiction while I am driving because I forget what I am doing. However, pondering Jesus puts me fully right where I am. Helpful in so many ways.   
  
Lynn C. Bauman subtitled Psalm 81, "Wisdom's Voice Across the Desert."  Quite appropriate.  The enemy that is mentioned in this Psalm is certainly my restless mind. 
   
So I let hardness in your hearts become your guide, 
you followed it instead of me through the desert lands. 
O my people, my beloved ones, 
if you would have only learned to hear, 
then you could have walked in such a different way. 
I would easily have made your enemies flee from you, 
to become as nothing instead of overlords. 
And those who blocked your path 
would have simply disappeared, 
or come to stand before your feet in shame. 
And even now, if you will, 
I myself can make you bread, 
I myself will feed you from the finest wheat. 
I will satisfy your longing for earth's sweetest food, 
with honey extracted from the rock.   
 
Psalm 81:11-16
Ancient Songs Sung Anew    
    
Neighborhood bees are returning to my bee/birdbath.  I am delighted to be a way station for them in their journey.  Most of us can do a little something for our bees, even if it is just to offer them a drink of cool water. If you have some herbs growing in your garden, let some of them flower, and if you are blessed with dandelions, do not curse them, but let them flower.  The second picture is a bee on some arugula from last fall. a few stones in your birdbath give a place for the bees to land.       



No comments:

Post a Comment