Thursday, January 18, 2018

What a Friend

When I arrived at the memory care home the two volunteers had not yet arrived.  While it is unusual for volunteers to not show up without notice, it does happen, and I do need to be prepared for the "just in case."  I scanned the song sheets and knew the residents would feel comfortable with at least two of the hymns so I went ahead and passed around the sheets, chatting with those who had gathered. I then began to prepare the Communion table.  As I was taking the cup and plate out of my bag, I began to notice the silence. In it, I could hear some murmurings that I knew were quiet conversations, but they came to me as prayers. Down the hall I could hear someone crying.  I could also hear rhythmic clapping. These sounds were not cacophonous, but rather they came together in a way that gave me a sense of all of us being held tenderly in Christ.  In that moment I was set free in a love that was as tangible as the cup and plate that I was holding. 
I then heard Mary say, "Babe, are we going to sing this?"  I looked at her, and thought again how vivid her blue eyes are. The hymn she was pointing to was "What a Friend We Have in Jesus." I know it is one of her favorites so I was not surprised.  "Yes, Mary, let's sing it right now."  Not everyone sang, but enough did that I could celebrate their voices.  The volunteers joined us, and we continued.  At the end of the service, Mary said, "Babe, that was good." Pointing to the hymn again, she asked if we has sung it.  I assured her we not only sang it once, but twice.  "Thanks, Babe. You do a good job."
    
 You, too, Mary.  "Yea, you and I, we make a good team," she replied.  
  
That is because we are friends in Jesus.  
  
  
   
Attachments area

No comments:

Post a Comment