Thursday, January 11, 2018

At the Slightest Whisper

When the pianist and I arrived on the memory care floor, there were only two residents in the activity room.  The manager came out of her office and said that most of the residents were in their rooms with coughing and sneezing.  She asked if we would mind singing for the two that were there.  We commenced.  One by one, several staff members gathered in the back of the room to listen. Even if I could say that the only thing I ever accomplished with SpiritCare was to give  staff members a much needed break, that would be enough. 
   
After the first hymn, I was happy to see Irene came in. She is a gentle, spry woman who seems to always be in a good mood, and always nods her head to the music. One of the staff members helped her sit at the table, and placed a mask on her face. I handed her a song sheet and wished her a good morning.   
  
As it often happens, her husband came in just as we begin the last hymn (he could be a brother, but my sense is they are a married couple).  He is a tall man, so he bends to  reach her. He gently puts his arm around her, places his mouth close to her ear and whispers.  She always gives him the sweetest smile so even with a mask on, I knew she was smiling. She will generally rise to leave with him. He will acknowledge me with a nod, and I return the slight bow. I have never spoken with him, other than a quick good morning because he comes and goes while I am singing.     
  
Yesterday, Irene paused as he turned to walk out of the room.  She then stood up, nodded to me, and began to follow him.  She slipped off the mask, began waving it as if it were the 4th of July, and gingerly danced her way out the room. I have never thought of "Great Is Thy Faithfulness" as a dance number, but I think Irene has changed that for me.  She knows faithfulness, and celebrates it at the slightest whisper.  Let's follow her lead.     
  

​​
Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

​ 


Thomas 
Obadiah
​ ​
Chisholm, 1923
​  
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment