Friday, January 26, 2018

Psalm 78

Because of the flu, most of the communities I serve are quiet now, so I was not surprised to see only a couple of people in the dining/activity room.  The pianist could not be with us, so I simply walked over to their table and asked if I could join them. 

I was grateful to see the good pastor. He is a gentle African American man with bright brown eyes, a quick smile, and a welcoming demeanor. Because he is one who on one day was active in ministry, and the next found himself laid low with a stroke, I really can't call him retired. He missed that stage. 
 
"What good word have you brought us today?"  I told him I had been pondering John 12:24, the reminder that seed that must fall to the earth in order to bear good fruit.   
  
"Yes, yes, so important to remember." We then discussed that scary word surrender.  Several other residents walked in and joined us at the table. The good pastor continued to talk, and I saw glimpses of the preacher he once was, and a view of the faithful servant he still is. He talked of people unwilling to age, unwilling to let God work in their lives, unwilling to be weak.  He waved his one more or less mobile arm and said he saw it in the church and he certainly sees it where he lives now.  The others listened, nodded their heads, and murmured their agreement. Each spoke of the difficulty of finding themselves at this stage of being, but not being with others who wanted only to go their own way. This lament is not unusual.   

Eventually the good pastor grew weary and we closed, but I have no question that a fine meeting was held that day. Really what each spoke of was loneliness, of being separated from their imperfect churches, but in that time together, they were gathered in and one among them spoke his truth. They were part of the whole that is Christ, and I was grateful to be in the congregation. 
    
   
Listen carefully, my people, 
play close attention all who belong to me, 
For I am about to speak as teacher, 
explaining mysteries of old. 
I will teach you using parables, 
drawn from ancient times. 
I will teach you many lessons 
you must know. 
And what you learn and come to hear 
speak it to your children, 
So generations yet unborn 
will know God's works and ways, 
How God taught ancient Jacob 
and Israel knowledge of the Law; 
how it became a pathway, 
a teaching meant for all.   
 
Psalm 78: 1-5  
Ancient Songs Sung Anew, 
Lynn C. Bauman     
   
​​
Truly,  I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit.
John 12:24​ 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment