Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Psalm 4

Yesterday's psalm turned into a chant for me and carried me through the day:  
"O God, you are my glory
O God, you are my shield, 
In you I lift my head."   
 
In the small prayer group I met with yesterday, we explored more of psalm 3, including verse 6: "I am not afraid of ten thousand people who have set themselves against me all around." While we expressed gratitude that we did not feel that we have that many against us, we did talk for awhile about conflict in community.   
 
The psalms were at the heart of the Opus Dei of Benedict's community life and the monks chanted the entire Psalter in one week. The Rule includes specific instructions about what psalms are to be read when, there  are probably still monasteries that practice that discipline. Yet, even with my highly abridged version, I already feel the psalms taking root, both challenging me and bringing me peace.  
 
Psalm 4 is a lovely prayer for the night - especially in those times when peace seems elusive, and concern will not release its hold.   
   
You have put into my heart
a greater joy than abundance of 
grain and new wine can provide. 
 
In peace I will lie down and fall asleep, 
for you, alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.  
   
Psalm 4:8-9   
The Ecumenical Grail Psalter     
   
 
A chant for the night could simply be:   
In peace I will lie down and fall asleep, 
for you, alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.   
   
Peace to you all, both in the day and the night. 
   
 

2 comments: