Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Found

When the volunteer and I arrived at the community where we lead a monthly small group discussion, we saw two of our usual participants going out the door for medical appointments.  We checked in at the front desk, and then I suggested that we go to our usual location and see if anyone else might join us.
  
After a few minutes, one of the long time activity assistants walked by and said, "Oh, I should find you some participants!" However, she then surprised us by  sitting at the table with us, and sharing some of her struggles.  We simply sat and listened. Eventually she looked at her watch and expressed surprise at the time.  She started to apologize, but we both stopped her and thanked her for telling us her story and gave her a blessing.  
The ministry is not only for the residents. We are there for the families and the staff as well.  Over the years, some deep relationships have grown, and I am grateful for these.  Many years ago, a friend gave me a refrigerator magnet with the message, "What people really need is a good listening to." 

There is a reason I have kept that magnet all these years.  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment