Thursday, January 26, 2017

Together

I was grateful to see John in worship this week.  I was also a little puzzled because he kept chatting to a woman sitting next to him. I know he values conversation, maybe even more so since he now lives in a community where many people no longer speak. However, he is usually very attentive when we are there.  
 
Afterwards, I thanked him for telling me the story of the magi (see my January 6 post explaining the tradition of setting out wine for the magi and sugar cubes for their camels) and that I had shared it with many. He smiled and replied, "It is no story. Anywhere you go in Europe you will see the same thing." I then introduced myself to the woman sitting next to him.  John then said, "She is my wife." 

In communities dedicated to memory care, I hear of all sorts of adoptions as the sense of linear time blurs. People often introduce someone as their mother or their brother​ or their girlfriend. One man keeps trying to call me Reverend, but usually ends up calling me Father. I generally go with the pronouncement even when I know the relationship described is not exactly accurate. However, John's statement surprised me because he seems to thinking clearly. She told me her name and I could not resist asking her if indeed they were married.  She laughed and said yes; she had just moved there a couple of weeks ago.  I gave them both a blessing on this new time of their lives. Sitting side by side in their wheelchairs, they were smiling and seemed content. 
 
I am grateful the two of them are traveling together.  I am enjoying their presence in this particular community, although they do not seem to really need memory care, and that does seem a little selfish on my part.  However, I also recognize that the time I spend with people is short; I do not see a complete picture.  As the activity assistant held open the door for me to leave, I silently thanked God and asked for forgiveness. I was reminded that they, and all of us, are in God's hands, not mine, and they seem to be doing fine. I believe they are happy, and I walked out celebrating love. 

 
Who is that coming up from the wilderness, 
leaning upon her beloved? 
O you who dwell in the gardens, 
my companions are listening for your voice,
let me hear it.  
 
Song of Songs 8:5,13  
   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment