Sunday, January 22, 2017

Night Prayers

I have returned to my practice of saying the Loving Kindness Prayer, also known as metta meditation, in those nights when I wake and have trouble returning to sleep.  While it is relatively easy to pray this prayer for those I love, I know I must also pray this prayer for the one who has just been elected.  That is turning into a humbling experience, but in truth, I do want him (and others) to be filled with loving kindness, to be healthy in every way, to be at peace, and yes, even happy.  I am surprised at how much I must trust God with that last one.  I think this is the humility that Jesus knew when he said we should pray for those who harass us (Matthew 5:44).  Yet, when frustrations arise, I am reminded I must also pray this prayer for myself. 
So, dear ones, know that you are in my prayers and in you I find refuge.  May each of us pray for someone difficult to hold in love. May this step guide all our actions in the days and nights to come.     
  
May you be filled with loving kindness. 
May you be healthy. 
May you be at peace. 
May you be happy.  
  
   
One day tells its tale to another, and one night imparts knowledge to another. 
Sunday Office of the Night Watch The Divine Hours, Phyllis Tickle   
  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment