Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Lessons and Prayers

Last night I dreamed of walking through San Francisco. It is predawn, but there is much activity: merchants are getting ready to open early, and people, dressed for work in downtown offices, are lining up to wait for a bus.  I start to take my place in line, but realize it is an express bus, and I am not going that far. I walk on and see people from all walks of life: the very poor, a woman dressed in a wild costume walking on stilts, young couples who seem to be coming home from a night of revelry, and those who sit at a corner begging.  I stop at a table outside a cafe. There I see a broken egg, and behind the napkin holder someone has stashed a bottle of prescription pills.  In the dream I think, "People are hurting more than I know."  

For now, that is the lesson that I will take from this election.  Later this morning I will step off an elevator, go through a locked door, and be with those who may not be able to remember what an election is. Some will not be able to overtly respond. Others will enjoy the music, even if the words on the song sheet make no sense. Some will be content to simply hold a hand. That will be enough for me.  There, I am always reminded to keep things in the moment.  
   
Yesterday I met with a small group in an assisted living community. We are small in number, but we have shared many good conversations over the years. I am always touched by their courage as they face some formidable health challenges.  Last month, I shared with them the version of Psalm 23 that I posted on September 21, 2016. They liked it very much.  One woman asked if it "would be alright" if we wrote our own Lord's prayer, and the group expressed interest in doing so. That was our project yesterday. When I asked them how they wanted to address God, one asked if we could address the prayer to Jesus, and the others agreed. I do not think they will mind my sharing the first draft of the prayer with you.  I will take copies of the prayer back to them next month. There will probably be some more editing; we did not have quite enough time to arrive at a collective sense of completion. Nonetheless, I believe it was a meaningful process for us all as we pondered words, Jesus, temptations, and just where we might find heaven.  I liked being their scribe - a role I guess I have had all along.  
  
Our Jesus, 
Our Goodness who is all around us, 
sacred is your name. 
Your kingdom come, 
Your will be done 
on earth now 
as it is eternally done all around us. 
Give us this day 
the sustenance that will sustain us. 
Forgive us our errors 
as we forgive those who err against us. 
Lead us not into temptation 
but deliver us from evil, 
for yours is the goodness, the power,  
and the glory forever.   
Amen.   

      

No comments:

Post a Comment