Friday, November 11, 2016

Call and Response

Very early in my ministry, I walked over to say hello to a woman sitting quietly in a wheelchair. Even from a few steps away, I could tell she probably had some form of dementia, but I was stunned when I looked into her eyes and saw absolutely no light coming from them. She did not stir, and it was only the gentle rise and fall of her chest that let me know she was still living.  At that moment, I silently began to argue with God. How could this be?  I confess that for a moment or two I actually became somewhat petulant; indignant that one could be continuing to live in such a manner.  "God, do you not see that it is time for her to move on?" 

The answer almost immediately came into my mind. I would probably never know the answers. Furthermore, to pursue those answers was not why I was called into the ministry.  Those questions were for others. My role was to be present, and that meant I was called to witness and to love. I humbly accepted the "response," and gave her a blessing. I never saw her again. Yet, I think of her when I start once again to question how God can let what is happening happen. I think of her when I need to be reminded to love.  
  
There are, of course, a lot of those questions, and worse, going on right now.  Therefore, when I came across this passage from Ephesians in my morning reading, I found both solace and guidance.  I was reminded once again that sometimes, even when we do manage to come up with a few answers, however brilliant we or others may find them, there is much more that we cannot yet know. 
    
For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth takes its name. I pray that, according to the riches of his glory, he may grant that you may be strengthened in your inner being with power through his Spirit, and that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith, as you are being rooted and grounded in love. I pray that you may have the power to comprehend, with all the saints, what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, so that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.     
   
Ephesians 3:14-19 NRSV  




Attachments area

No comments:

Post a Comment