Saturday, September 17, 2016

Saying Yes

In Benedictine life there are three vows:  stability, obedience, and conversatio morum.In the preface to Seeking God, The Way of St. Benedict, Esther de Waal writes, "Above all, he [Benedict] knows that life in must be a never-ending journey. For his life in Christ means life through a succession of opening doors, not a life that is always static and safe. We can translate the vow of conversatio morum as the challenge to continual, on-going conversation, being open to the new, saying yes to following Christ's call to discipleship wherever that may lead."    
A few days ago, I was blessed to be able to take some time to sit and talk with a long-time friend.  She is also an ordained minister, and we share an interest in issues around aging. In our conversation, we found ourselves pondering what it might be like to live in a senior community that is faith-based and centered in prayer.  I really cannot see myself in assisted living.  I am simply not that social. However, I want to use this third part of my life to draw closer to Christ, and that must be done in community.  It is not a solo venture.   
It is my hope and plan to become a Benedictine Oblate novice next month.  I believe this call is a true one that fits into my ministry and church membership. I also believe that regardless of our faith, we are all called to age with fidelity and courage.  I have learned that is often not easy, but we cannot run from ourselves, not for very long anyway.  St. Benedict urged his monks to run towards God- that is to follow their call with passion. I am reminded of some lines from an old spiritual, "There ain't but one train, upon this track. It runs to heaven an' right back."   We truly have no place to go, other than to God.  Let us go with purpose and love.     
  
Blessings on your journey. I am grateful that we travel together.   
    
Photograph is a detail from a mural in Hayward, CA.  The hymn that was mentioned is entitled, "Every Time I Feel the Spirit."  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment