Thursday, September 22, 2016

Opus Dei

Including the phrase "honor responsibilities" in my personal rule has helped me to hold my responsibilities lightly, but certainly not carelessly. This became apparent yesterday.  If I am traveling to the peninsula or further into Santa Clara county, I always check the traffic before I go. Yesterday I noted that there were two accidents on 880 south.   I was just about to get into my car when it suddenly became clear to me that I would not be able to get to my destination on time, and sitting in traffic worrying about that seemed not the way to honor my ministry, nor was not the way I wanted to spend either my birthday or The International Day of Prayer.  I got out of the car, called all concerned and made arrangements to come the following week.  Suddenly I had a wide open day. 

I knew I needed to run one errand in Oakland, and I did that.  At that point, I was at a crossroad.  I could go further into Oakland and go to Sagrada, a locally owned shop of books, candles, crosses, and other beautiful things to enliven one's spirit.  However, I decided to keep things even more local, and I opted to return to San Leandro.  

My first stop was to get my car washed.  After I paid for the service, I realized that this family owned and operated business is still issuing delightfully old fashioned receipts that are carbon copies of hand written service tickets.  I then went to a local jewelry store to get my watch battery replaced, and learned that the proprietor was a third generation jeweler.  He plans to stay in business until a date in 2024 that  will mark 100 years of the family business.  His children, with his blessing and encouragement, opted to not become jewelers, and when he retires, this long-lived enterprise will close.  I then stopped at our local hospice thrift store and spent a whopping $17 (total) on a cute black and white jacket (lined in teal!), some colorful tiles that are probably destined for the garden, a lovely cup decorated with fancy birds and flowers, and some cards designed by an artist who finds inspiration in the floral patterns found on Ming dynasty vases.  This shop is a marvel of order and tidiness, and the women who volunteer there are quite proud of that. They can get a little fussy, but since they are raising money for our local children's hospice, most of us willingly comply.  
   
I then walked down the street and had a bowl of my favorite chicken and vegetable pho. I always smile when the waitress advises me that the vegetables will cost an extra $1.50.  One one hand, that is a little expensive for about 30 cents worth of chopped broccoli, bok choy, and carrot, but the vegetables are always impeccably fresh and perfectly cooked.  While I savored my soup, I watched a beautiful young woman enjoy her lunch with a man who was probably her father. I say this because they both had strong large hands. Hers were smooth and youthful; his older and more rugged.  However, as they talked, their gestures often mirrored one another. At another table, two women lunched and tended to a baby in a carriage.  Other people came and went, talked with companions, or checked messages on their phone. I almost always enjoy the lively, but usually not too loud activity level in this restaurant. Feeling quite satisfied and happy, I came home and read.  I later met Tyler at an event he was hosting, and we walked to dinner.  A very satisfying and peace filled birthday. I do thank you all for your warm greetings.       
  
I have seen opus Dei translated both as divine office and work of God.  Both translations seem appropriate to describe yesterday. The day turned out to be a Sabbath rest for me. The gift of it gave me a sense of gratitude for God and for being able to support my local community. I believe that such support helps bring stability to all of us, and I think that stable communities can help stem what seems to be an ever rising tide of poverty and violence.  In the excellent book, The New Parish, such stability is described as "rooting," a phrase coined by Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove, author of The Wisdom of Stability, Rooting Faith in a Mobile Culture. "It happens as you open up and let your place teach you about its shape, geography, history, peoples, cultures, and so on. As you come come to know it you will see the need of it, and its need for you."   
 
God works in moments of change and interruption. We should treat these moments with respect and curiosity whenever possible; in much the same way we should treat one another.  Such reminders are the gifts of Sabbath. 
  
    
 
The photograph was taken yesterday in Oakland. The quote is from page 136 of The New Parish, How Neighborhood Churches Are Transforming Mission, Discipleship and Community  written by Paul Sparks, Tim Soerens, and Dwight J. Friesen.   
   
     

No comments:

Post a Comment