Friday, February 12, 2016

Trusting the Music

I watched with gratitude as one of the caregivers wheeled Mark into the lobby.  I knew he liked to sing, and at one time he must have had a fine, strong voice.  I went over to greet him and to invite him to come sing with us. His voice is so soft now I had to lean towards him to hear him respond, "Oh, I would like to, but my family is coming to pick me up."  I encouraged him to join us in the parlor, and I would watch for his family's arrival. He gratefully agreed.   

Afterwards, I asked him what was his favorite hymn.  He replied with the name of an old hymn that he sang as a youth. Neither the pianist nor I had even heard of the hymn, but our other volunteer responded that she knew it, and she encouraged him to sing with her.  The two of them sang a sweet duet a capella.   

Afterwards, Mark quietly said, "I trust these hymns." The volunteer asked him what he meant.  "I believe the words are true." We agreed.   

I often witness elders waiting for family members in the lobby. It touches my heart because many are willing to wait all day as their family members juggle work and other commitments. In many communities, there is a lot of waiting going on.  

I wheeled Mark back into the lobby, and per his instructions, I carefully positioned him so that he could easily see his family drive up.   

I am grateful for Mark's trust. I am grateful for volunteers who are willing to take part. I am grateful for the reminder that Christ shows up in the small moments of our lives, especially when we are looking the other way.     
    


No comments:

Post a Comment