Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Voices

Recently, a neighbor, who is a member of the Oakland Symphony Chorus, sent out an email advising that the chorus was inviting people to come to an evening dedicated to the singing of American Spirituals. I decided to take part. As an audience member, I was familiar with the work of Dr. Lynne Morrow, the director of the chorus.  I, and no doubt thousands of others find her to be charismatic, deeply gifted and articulate about music and the history of the various styles. In the course of a couple of hours, I laughed, cried, and yes, did manage to sing.  However, the voices weaving around me were so captivating, I occasionally had to pause and simply listen.    

When the evening came to a close, and I was about to drive away, a car came up beside me.  The driver rolled down his window.  He simply sat there smiling and looking at me, so I rolled my window down.  He asked where I was a pastor.  The question surprised me because I had not met him.  As I began to explain my ministries, I suddenly remembered that my car has a clergy sticker.   It is was like one of those moments when a grocery store clerk surprises you by calling you by name, and then you remember you still have your conference name badge on.   
He then surprised me even more by saying, "I have a gift for you."  He gets out and goes to the back of his car.  He returns and hands me a book and tells me that his wife had translated some of the psalms from Hebrew to English.  I was in awe of the unexpected gift, and of the endeavor. The book is entitled, Let us Praise by Betty Bracha Stone.  In the introduction she writes, "In the summer of 2012, I entered into a serious Jewish practice: strenuous introspection and prayer during the month of Elul in preparation for our High Holy Days - Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. This was begun with the customary practice of reciting Psalm 27 twice daily."
   
Like many of us who love the psalms, there were tangles and confusion.  The language of the psalms is often beautiful, but also can be strident, divisive, even hateful. Embracing her struggle, she began to do her own translation and interpretation.  I admire that greatly.  Even when reading the psalms in English, most of us translate, interpret, reinterpret, and frankly sometimes just skip over troublesome sections as we grapple with trying to bring the ancient voices forward.   I don't think she jumped over the problems, but she admits she "tampered" a bit with sequence, time, pronouns, meaning, and assumptions.  
  
The result of Stones' work is, I think, a beautiful translation and interpretation of thirty-seven psalms.  I am grateful for the gift, the endeavor, and the simple act of rolling down a window at a time when such action is rarely recommended.   
   
   
You, Oh, God, have grabbed me out of nowhere
And have put Your hand upon me. 
And so I am formed.   
Your designs are without number 
And there is no limit to them
Their number is greater than the sand. 
from Psalm 139, Let Us Praise, Betty Bracha Stone  
     
Friends, I am putting more and more of my photographs and writings on my blog.
Please consider following it.  The photographs seem to be made for it.   I will, of course, continue to send emails, and much appears on facebook.  I thank you for being present in whatever way you prefer.  I will continue to try to do the same!









Friends, I am putting more and more of my photographs and writings on my blog.

Please consider following it.  The photographs seem to be made for it.   I will, of course, continue to send emails, and much appears on facebook.  I thank you for being present in whatever way you prefer.  I will continue to try to do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment