Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Sightings

I have written of Jill more than once.  She is blind and has been since she was a very young woman.  Now in her later years she has also grown deaf, and arthritis is taking a toll.  Yet, most of the time
she continues to come to worship, and enthusiastically replies yes when I ask (well, kind of yell in her ear) if she would like to take communion. She periodically reminds me that as a child she saw a vision of the Blessed Mother at Lourdes.  Jill asked her if she could avoid going blind.  Alas, the Blessed Mother told Jill "with her eyes" that she would go blind.  This vision has sustained her life and her faith, even though she did not get the answer for which she hoped nor the life she had dreamed.  However, she received so much more: the knowledge that she was loved.  "I see in another way."   

The last time I saw Jill she told me that she was glad that I knew her story.  I, too, am glad for that sacred gift.  While walking a few mornings ago, I was intrigued by a gentle pink light at the the end of a neighbor's driveway.  I have always loved Bougainvillea for its bold purple, red, or dark pink leaves (I understand the the white part is the actual flower).  The plant can grow into a dramatically large and vibrant cascade that covers walls and drapes fences.  Once it is established it is actually fairly hardy even through our periodic freezes.  However, this particular plant is small, and the color very delicate.  I did not take off my shoes, but I knew I was standing on holy ground.  It is impossible to be anywhere else. Perhaps, I, too, am learning to see in another way.  Blessed be.    

No comments:

Post a Comment