Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Worth the Trip

This posting was actually first written in January of 2010.  It is about Walter, who asked me to check in on his sister a few days ago (see "Relations").  Much of the ministry is about letting our walls fall away, leaving not ruins, but rather our love.  Let us do that sooner, rather than later.    


I first met Walter several months ago.  He has gained some color, but still is so thin and frail he appears almost translucent.  In December I asked him if he would be seeing friends or family at Christmas.  "No," he whispered. "They live in San Francisco. Much too far away."       
Despite his illness, every month he comes to worship, and he always wants a song sheet, even though singing seems to be out of the question.  And yesterday, when I walked into the crowded multi-purpose room, he saw me before I saw him.  He caught my attention by waving and smiling - an effort I pray I never take for granted. 
After worship, I thanked him for his presence.  He softly replied, "I thank you - for sharing the word of the Lord."  He paused and then smiled.  "Our Lord," he added with emphasis.     
In a world of "Why is this happening to me? " and "Who are you and what are you doing?"  or "Leave me alone," SpiritCare tries to plant the idea of us.  That God is with us.  That regardless where we find ourselves we can be a community where God's love takes root.   That the Christ table is set for all of us, even those of us who are frail, ill, maimed, frightened, or confused, and that pretty much includes all of us.   And all of us, through this great love, can reach out to the world. 
Walter is one to whom we must lean very close to in order to hear and maybe even see.  It is worth the effort.  He really is not all that far away.  Blessed be.   
 
Jan 24, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment