Saturday, May 14, 2011

Relations

Walter grows quite frail.  The pianist and I both miss seeing him in his usual spot during worship, so now we stop by his room to say hello, knowing that someday he will not be there.    
 
Today Walter asked me if I had seen his sister.  I was a little surprised by the question, as last year he had told me that he had no family nearby.  I asked if she was visiting and he said no, that she lived there in the hospital, and he just wanted to make certain she was okay.  I asked him her name, and I told him I would try to check on her, and then I would come right back and let him know how she is doing. 
 
However, when I talked to the person at the front desk, he informed me that there was no one in the facility with that name.  He pulled Walter's contact records, and discovered that yes, a sister with a very different name was listed, but she lived in Los Angeles.  The pianist smiled, took my things, and headed to the lobby saying that he would let me handle this one.      
 
I paused, drew a breath, and then returned to Walter's room.  I told him I was not able to see her, but that I understood that she was doing just fine.  "Oh, thank you," he whispered.  "I am so glad to hear that."     
   
Afterwards, I walked down the hall, grateful that we are are never alone.     
  
for you are with me ...my whole life long. 
                                     (Psalm 23:4-6)   

2 comments:

  1. Dear Sue Ann,

    Yeah! You’re a blogger now! Your new blog will allow your wonderful writing to become more public and that’s a good thing. I set up a website for my HeartSpace Ministries a few years ago and was intending to blog on it but I didn’t keep it up.

    Your piece about Walter got me to thinking, especially in light of my difficulties with my sibling. While my sib and I do not in any way enjoy a close or good relationship, I have so many other “heart” sisters and brothers, people who support me, who encourage me, who love me and who resonate with my spirit that I truly don’t feel I am without siblings who bless me on a daily basis. So I was pondering whether or not this might be the case for Walter, too, and that when he asked you to check on his “sister,” it might have been his sister-of-the-heart. I can imagine that as I get closer to Heaven, I may begin to call my siblings-by-choice my sister or my brother, and ask someone to make sure they are okay. I love thinking about this possibility!

    So congratulations, Sister Sue Ann, and blog on!

    Loving blessings,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more I travel among the elders, the more my concept of time and relationships changes. We are so much more than these physical bodies. Perhaps someone in the hospital befriended Walter, enough so, like you and I, he calls her sister and gave her his last name. Perhaps, it is even more.
    Much love to you, Sister Rebecca, and blessings on your studies.

    ReplyDelete