Sunday, May 22, 2011

Fine Tuning

Fine Tuning 
    
When I was a young girl 
I had a transistor radio 
complete with a leatherette case. 
   
During the day, 
it received no reception, 
but at night 
I could hear one station, 
KOMA Oklahoma City, 
where I learned of places like 
Lincoln Nebraska and Boise Idaho, 
and I heard Petula Clark 
singing to God and the rest of us that 
we didn't need any more oceans 
or rivers or hills to climb.   
  
She was probably right.  
We don't seem to take care of 
the ones we have  
but  she assured us then, 
and I think she would say  
the same thing now, 
we only need more love.  
   
There in that West Texas darkness, 
trying to picture a Lincoln Nebraska or a Boise Idaho, 
and wondering how people got 
a Name like Petula in a world so full of Bettys, Charlies, and Sues, 
love did seem mostly full of static, but 
could sometimes with great clarity 
rush out over 
midwestern plains, mountains, rivers, and oceans 
when the air was just right.  
  
I thought love to be someone else's secret then, but now I 
know God does not stash love so far away.  
It is kept very close, 
like in a transistor radio with a leatherette case
sent to a lonely young girl who knew about wind and stars and silence, 
the sender and receiver both trying to tune into a mysterious world.  
    
                                                                                        - say 
                                                                                          September, 2006 

2 comments:

  1. This is beautifully evocative. I feel like it's ME alone in that West Texas darkness, thinking that love is someone else's secret....
    Thanks for sharing this, Sue Ann!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Katarina. Your blog is so beautiful. I think we need to come up with a new word. Blog sounds like something from a 1950 science fiction movie.

    ReplyDelete