Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Finding the Path, Part 2 (Going the Distance)

 In order to get to Salt Lake City, we drove about 14 miles on 580 and then took the intersection in Emeryville connecting us to I80 east. Two days later, after driving about 726 miles along that same highway, we arrived in Salt Lake City. We found ourselves continuing to drive up and down 80 as we tended to the truck camper and explored the area. At one point, I looked up and saw a sign telling me that if we wanted to get to Cheyenne, we should continue going east on 80.  The sign did not tell us how long that would take, but at that moment, it seemed like we could probably get to the moon before we arrived in Cheyenne. I just read that it is about 440 miles from Salt Lake City to Cheyenne. If one wants to travel the entire length of 80 (San Francisco to Teaneck, NJ) a drive of 2,901 miles lies ahead of you. At this point, none of those journeys, yes, even to the moon, hold much interest for me. 

Yet, 80 and Salt Lake City both surprised me. I saw only one political billboard, and we were still in CA at the time. I really did not get a chance to read it, but as it targeted both Gov. Newsom and President Biden, I got the sense it was not a favorable review.  During the whole trip we did not even see one political bumper sticker. We saw plenty of US flags in Salt Lake, but no commentary. Tyler said he saw a trucking company with the name MAGA, but I missed it. We never did see a newspaper, so I cannot tell you what the local journalists were commenting on. 

On our way to The Great Salt Lake, I noticed that written on the back windshield of the car in front of us was the pledge of allegiance. It was professionally and tastefully done. Because we were waiting at a red light, I had the time to read the pledge and ponder the last words, "With liberty and justice for all."  I wondered if the driver really believed in such an egalitarian statement. I ask because sometimes I find the US falling short of that lofty and worthy ideal. However, I did not risk getting run over. I opted to stay in the car, and not try to engage the driver in political discourse. I really am not very good at that sort of thing anyway. The light turned, and we all drove on. Nonetheless, I was grateful to be reminded of this pledge that, if put into practice, could  help heal some of the wounds of our country's citizens, visitors, land, air, water, and creatures. 
  
The photograph attached was taken on the first evening just outside of Winnemucca, our destination for the night. Suddenly, as the sun set, we were surrounded in golden light. It was stunning. The next morning it was snowing. I was grateful for Tyler's experience in driving in snow, and for snowplows. My trust in the truck began to take root.
   
Yes, I80 is long and straight. However, the pavement was in great shape. I was sorry that we did not see more creatures, but we did not see any trash along the roads either. We took my father's long-time advice to heart: watch your weather and get off the road before dark. Tyler also got used to my belief that when the gas tank drops to about half full, it is time to stop, stretch our legs, and fill up. I think the Donaldson spirit of caution served us well.   


 
    

   
Image:  I80 East outside of Winnemucca, January 2024. The quality of the orginal photograph is a little better, but is  too large for this format. 
   
     

No comments:

Post a Comment