Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Deep Callings

 I took a beautiful walk this morning just before the rain began. The wind came up, and the leaves that had hung on the branches surprisingly long began to let go, almost all at the same time. While leaves of various hues are everywhere, most of the vibrant pinks, blues, yellows and purples of our gardens are nowhere to be seen. We are all surrendering to the inevitable fall.  

   
As I walked past some large trees that line a street a couple of blocks away, I thought of a poem by Rumi that I had discovered earlier this morning. I then said hello to a neighbor. He has been ill and is still not looking well. May this poem be true for him; may his roots still be growing strong.  
   
"And don't think the garden 
loses its ecstasy in winter.  
  
It's quiet, but the roots 
are down there riotous." 
  
Rumi   
     
   
    

image: San Leandro, December 2023
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment