Monday, November 27, 2023

Oneness

 "We all have a light and a dark side. To use an analogy, we might say that we go through life with a watchdog on one side of us and a wolf on the other. We sometimes feed one, sometimes the other. We all feed both in the course of a life, no matter how saintly or errant we are. Thus, Mother St. Teresa's wolf did not starve and neither did Hitler's dog. 

From a spiritual and saintly perspective, our identity is something like the faith view of the Eucharist. Under the appearance of who we are in the world is our true divinity/identity. Then we too are a holy sacrament, outward signs of inward grace that can nourish the world. Likewise, all the cosmos is sacramental. We can come to see all that is, both ourselves and all natural things, beaming from the monstrance of the universe. We come to see all that is as a bodily holding of a divine presence. When this happens in us, we are truly engaging in perpetual adoration. Our wholeness has become holiness." 

Wholeness and Holiness, David Richo, page 9 

Early this morning I dreamed of two dogs fighting. In the dream they appear at my screen door. They are wounded, but not dramatically, and are quietly standing side by side. I had not yet read this passage from David Richo's book, but I had begun crafting my personal pledge of allegiance. I am reminded once more that there are no coincidences. I am also reminded that any movement to wholeness is not just for ourselves as individuals, but for all of life. We heal together. While that certainly seems ample, we can go further and offer the process of our healing in gratitude. Yes, that is praise. I am also reminded I might benefit from being a little easier on (and in) myself.  

   
Here is the rough draft of my pledge. It is to no flag, but to the sacredness of all life:  
 
"I pledge allegiance to my heart, my mind, and my soul, 
and to the freedom in which we all can live: 
Unity in God - with liberty and justice for all.  

say, November 27, 2023 
   
Yes, I had to look up the word monstrance. It is the vessel in which the consecrated eucharistic host (the sacramental bread) is carried and displayed in the Roman Catholic church, and others. 





   

 
image: Half Moon Bay, November 25, 2023. The creatures in the foreground are hardworking sanderlings who quickly try to harvest any nourishment  they find washed up on the sand before the next wave comes. They run incredibly fast on short legs, but also take to the sky when necessary. I find them fascinating. Please excuse the lack of detail. There is just so much I can do with my eye phone!

No comments:

Post a Comment