Friday, December 18, 2020

Grand Opening

 "Without opening your door, 

you can open your heart to the world."  

   
Tao Te Ching, Chapter 47, excerpt 
Stephen Mitchell   
  
The eucalyptus in the photograph has grown large over the years and I walk by it often.  Walking in the neighborhood during a long pandemic poses a challenge in that it is easy to assume one has seen it all before.  That state of mind leads to not seeing anything.  Again and again, I remind myself to stop and simply try to see.  This is how I practice staying open to the world.   
 
I have received the latest issue of Thin Places, published by Westminster Presbyterian Church.  Included in this issue is an excerpt from Mary Oliver's book,  Dream Work:      
 
"And now I understand something so frightening & wonderful -
how the mind clings to the road it knows, 
rushing through crossroads, sticking 
like lint to the familiar."   
       
photograph:  San Leandro, December 2020

After the months of photographing the vibrant colors of spring, summer, and even early fall, I find refuge in the colors of late autumn.   


  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment