Monday, September 28, 2020

Yom Kippur

 Yom Kippur began yesterday at sunset.  Last night, we smelled smoke and this morning there is news of a fire in Napa.  While I am grateful that we were able to travel to Mendocino when we did, these devastating fires sadden and frighten us all.  We owe the earth some attention: not to prod into production, but to be allowed to heal.   

I have always appreciated Yom Kippur, a day set aside for prayer, fasting, and atonement.  If possible, let us all fast in some way today, and spend time in prayer for those who hunger and thirst.  For those who have been wronged. For those who have been mistreated. This includes our earth: the air, the land, the sea, all the creatures.  We pray for all creatures fleeing in fear. Let us remember that we are a nation known to turn sacred land into parking lots and shopping malls.  We do have some atoning to do.  
Let us begin.    

   
As we prepare ourselves to stand in the Light of Yom Kippur
We call on the heavens and earth,
We call on the ancestors,
We call on our children’s, children’s children,
And we ask for help.
Help us enter into this Yom Kippur with open and willing hearts.
Help us be present to the beauty and fragility of life.
And help us turn toward love.
May love be upon our hearts, may love lift our spirits, may love guide our hands.
Let us love the world so much that our hearts break open in love
And lights of healing, grace and compassion flow through us to all the world.
 
Shana Tova, Shabbat Shalom.
Blessings to all,
Rabbi Yael    

 Rabbi Yael Levy's meditations have helped me understand at least some of the Jewish traditions, including the tradition of reading Psalm 130 during Yom Kippur.  If you want to learn more, I suggest viewing  awayin.org May we always be willing to learn from one another.  We journey together. 

Blessings on your prayers. May you feel God's loving presence sitting with you today. 

Psalm 130 

Out of the depths I call to you, Infinite One.
Please, listen to my voice.
Please, hear my pleas as I humble myself.
If we were only our misdeeds, who could possibly stand?
For with You, Source of All, is forgiveness.
We are in awe.
I place my hope in the Unfolding Mystery.
My entire being hopes.
I wait with openness and hope for the Divine Presence.
My soul yearns for the Presence
Among all those who yearn for the dawn.
Let us wait and hope for the Infinite One,
For with the Infinite One is great love and power to heal.
The One will free us from the burdens and shame of our misdeeds.
Let us look toward to all that will be with hope.  
  
Rabbi Yael Levy
   
photograph:  San Leandro, September 21, 2020    
  
  



No comments:

Post a Comment