Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Just a Moment

Having the GPS turned on as I motor home on 880 actually helps.  Not that I do not know the way, but the device continually reminds me that forward progress is being made.  I fret less.  Not exactly a church, but certainly reality.  And sometimes I do remember to pray.      
I love the line, "the minds cession of its kingdom".  I wonder what it was like to have R.S. Thomas as one's priest. 
   
The Moor
It was like a church to me.
I entered it on soft foot,
Breath held like a cap in the hand.
It was quiet.
What God there was made himself felt,
Not listened to, in clean colours
That brought a moistening of the eye,
In a movement of the wind over grass.
There were no prayers said. But stillness
Of the heart’s passions – that was praise
Enough; and the mind’s cession
Of its kingdom. I walked on,
Simple and poor, while the air crumbled
And broke on me generously as bread.

Plough
   
photograph:  Half Moon Bay, 2018 
May be as close as I get to Wales.  Still, it is a place where I can look and be grateful that the highway could take me to such a place.  
     
    
 

No comments:

Post a Comment