Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Pondering the Beatitudes

"Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth." 
Matthew 5:5   
  
A few days ago, I was waiting to sign in at the receptionist desk at a skilled nursing community.   A robed Buddhist monk was signing out.  The receptionist asked him if his visit had been nice.  He paused, smiled and then his entire essence seemed to illuminate happiness.  He quietly replied, "Oh yes, always so beautiful."   I felt I was in the presence of Christ, and I was humbled at the altar.     
    
In our society, we do not trust the word meek.  It seems to imply weakness, but in that moment, I believe that monk was at complete peace, and that peace is what he offered.  He offered himself. What if we all walked in that peace?  Isn't this the peace that Jesus spoke of when he said, "Peace I leave with you. My peace I give you. I give to you not as the world gives. Do not be troubled or afraid (John 14:27)"?    
 
I encourage us all to have a moment of meekness today; it can change the world.  
  
photograph:  San Leandro, February, 2019       
   

No comments:

Post a Comment