Saturday, September 14, 2019

Leavening

I just read a short post on Sister Joan Chittister's "Monasteries of the Heart" page about a 95 year old nun who was the bread baker for a monastery for about 50 years.  She has lost her sight, but she says she is content to sit and pray for the cooks of the monastery, and has no interest to return to the kitchen, even for a visit.  She accepts this new time of her life.  I think I shall bake some bread today with her in mind.   
Earlier this week I met with a small group for what is now being called a "Bible Chat".  I smile at the homey name, and while chat is not a word I use very much, I agree that "Bible Study" can sound imposing.  I think what I am coming to prefer is "Bible Listen," because that is what we are doing.  We listen for what part of the text has meaning for us.  We listen to one another's reflections, and we absorb some of what others have expressed.    
One of the residents is losing her sight.  I do not think she is at the content stage yet, but I believe her trust in the One she calls Lord will lead her there.  This week I looked around the table at those gathered, and marveled at their steadfastness.  Every one of them is dealing with a serious illness or impediment.  One man's hearing is so impaired, I am certain he misses most of what is said, but he likes to pray with us. I believe he feels the prayers more than hears them, and that is pretty profound.  One woman says she really can't believe in God, but she is struggling with depression, and she says the conversations are helping her make the transition to living in community. The group is supportive and welcoming of all.  We are being kneaded together, and together we rise, perhaps a little wobbly, but definitely stronger than before.  I am grateful to be among them.   

   
The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took and mixed in with three measures of flour until all of it was leavened.    
Matthew 13:3    
   
Hospitality is openness to the unknown, and trust of what frightens us. 
Sister Joan Chittister, OSB     
   

No comments:

Post a Comment