Thursday, July 11, 2019

Sanctuary

Yesterday I as I parked in front of one of the communities I serve, I realized I was a little early.  I decided to pause and peruse the photographs I had taken that morning.  This particular photograph drew me in and as I worked with it, I completely forgot that I was parked on a busy segment of El Camino Real on a Wednesday morning.  At one point I felt I needed to begin over, and when the original image emerged once more, I was surprised. I had also forgotten that I was working with a photograph of a canna lily growing next to a fence.  It was a startling moment. I began again and this photograph was the final outcome.  All of this happened in a time span of less than ten minutes.  

I keep a copy of "You Shall Not Want" compiled by Richard Chilson on my nightstand.  It is an interesting interpretation, complilation, and combination of thirty psalms.  They are not numbered, but are offered in the form of a daily reading. This is still taking me some time to get used to.  However, I am beginning to understand there is freedom in this approach.  This psalm was part of my reading last night and I fell asleep thinking that we often find sanctuary in surprising places. Such grace happens because God is always with us. And yes, sometimes I do see, or at least sense, glory in a flower growing by a fence. 
   
By the way, I did arrive at the community "on time".  
  
Day Fourteen 
O God, you are my God, whom I seek; 
my soul thirsts for you, 
my flesh faints for you, 
as in a dry and weary land where no water is. 
So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary, 
beholding your power and glory  
because your steadfast love is better than life, 
my lips will praise you. 
So I will bless you as long as I live; 
I will lift up my hands and call on your name.     
   
photograph:  say, July 2019  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment