Friday, July 5, 2019

A Clear Route

In the dream I have come to a beautiful stone ridge.  
I look out over a land of quiet beauty: 
an expanse of trees and rocks  
that goes on further than I can see.  
 
With me are two women. 
One is almost 100. 
Another is much younger but very ill.  
We have come to do yoga.   
We balance on the stony ledge.  
We are expecting others so 
we look for places on the bluff
where people can balance safely.   
This morning I yearn to feel 
that ridge beneath my feet
and the air all around me.  


Tyler and I actually had plans to stay in Half Moon Bay for a couple of days this week.  The 4th of July is  noisy here and the onslaught of fireworks causes our dog and us much stress.  However, an unexpected car repair bill changed our plans.  Nonetheless, we did to the beach go early on the 4th.  It was surprisingly empty with just a few people who were fishing, a couple of people walking their dogs, some beautiful pelicans, and us.  

When I woke that morning, I did do some yoga, not on a bluff, but in my living room.  I was uncertain about the short hike to get to the beach.  However, that trek is one of my favorite walks, so I decided to take a hiking pole.  It did help, and the trail was beautifully lush.  Part of the makeshift trail down to the beach has eroded, so the pole definitely came in handy. I think I shall take it from now on.    

We began the trip home after lunch, and the traffic heading towards Half Moon Bay was quite heavy, maybe because by then the sun was out. Trips to the beach have always been morning affairs for us.  An easy drive and a quiet overcast morning on the beach suits us just fine.   

We did indeed have a rough night, and today was one of the rare mornings when I went back to bed.  I dreamed of taking a wrong turn, but in the dream I realize I could simply turn back. In the dream there is some construction, but the route is clear.  I woke thinking of a prayer I wrote many years ago.  Somewhere I have this prayer, but it will take awhile to surface.  It is a prayer that gives thanks that even our wrong turns take us to God. There really is nowhere else to go.  I woke giving thanks to the Holy Spirit who brings us forgiveness for all of our wrong turns and poor decisions.  Forgiveness makes a fine compass.   

I do not think I will actually live to be 100. However, I am intrigued by the idea of doing yoga for the rest of my life, including old age.  I am growing stronger, and maybe even a little more flexible (I think I will grow more flexible when I stop thinking about how flexible I used to be!)  The journey continues, and I am grateful.     
    
Blessings to you all. May your vistas be beautiful, and may love and forgiveness always be your traveling companions. 
   
  
I would love to live 
Like a river flows, 
Carried by the surprise 
of its own unfolding.       
   
John O'Donohue, Fluent     
 

No comments:

Post a Comment