Sunday, June 23, 2019

Being Led

Last night I continued to ponder 
what to talk to the children about 
in worship this morning.   
I have been doing that 
pondering all week 
with no ideas coming. 
As I prepared for rest, 
I wondered if prayer might 
be a good subject.     
These young boys and I 
pray to Jesus.  I have come 
to love those tender moments 
and it is true that children 
can lead us just like Jesus said. 
  
Later I dream of my father, 
who passed many years ago.
He is intently stitching
a place in my mouth, 
like tending to a wound.  
For some reason
I am between the seats of 
a car, and I find myself 
slipping more and more 
into a space that feels
much too small.   
I fear I am stuck. 
I finally cry out, 
"Daddy!  Help me!"    
He extends a hand 
and easily lifts me.  
I think of the phrase, 
"sets me right."    
   
This morning I think 
such a fervent cry is seldom 
the tone of my prayers, 
but many have cried 
out to Jesus 
in full panic 
and the hand has always been there 
to set them right.   
   
Maybe we will talk about prayer 
and pray this morning.   
I know that is always ok with Jesus.      
    
Images of children at the border surface.  May our nation hear and be lead into a new time of responding to the cries of children who are hungry, lost, and afraid. Jesus, we are failing to be stirred by their plight.  This morning I weep. Perhaps my wailing should be louder?  

No comments:

Post a Comment