Friday, May 24, 2019

Finding Home

While I will often stop by a garage sale or a thrift store, I generally avoid estate sales.  Going through objects that belonged to someone who has passed feels disrespectful.  Therefore, when I saw that there was an estate sale going on a few houses down, I made no plans to visit.  I left our house and went about my work as usual, stopping by the market on my way home.  Yet, as I was unpacking the groceries, I thought of LaVerne, and wondered if I could find something that would remind me of her spiritual life.  She converted to Catholicism as an adult, and over the years I think we both enjoyed our conversations about faith and church.  She even helped me in my ministry once a month.  She and Ms. Cleo, my elder standard poodle who has also passed, made a popular pair of chaplains.  I often felt I was simply the chauffeur who happened to preach. I picked up my purse and decided to visit. 

The living room  was set up with tables, and a wide variety of objects were available. Many I recognized.  I walked over to the mantle, and there I found this St. Francis. I had never seen him before, but I knew she had a lot of objects in her garage that I never saw.  I smiled when I noticed he was missing an arm.  It looks like it was repaired at one point, but goodness knows what happened to the missing limb.  I decided he should come home with me. 
  
Then I walked into the kitchen, and there a deep peace came over me.  It's not that I sensed her presence, but I think I felt what drew her to buying the house.  She told me that as soon as she walked into the house she knew she wanted to live there, and she did for many years.  As I stood in the kitchen, I was barely aware of other people moving around me.  I was in another time.  I looked out her kitchen window and pondered her apple tree and the gift of Granny Smith apples that would grace our front porch.  I then noticed a medium sized pale green ceramic bowl, and decided to bring that home as well.  I paid a bit more than I normally would for the bowl, but I was given St. Francis.  He now has a place on my bookcase that has all kinds of found items and gifts, and yes, even books. 
  
Thank you, LaVerne.  Your last years were not easy, I know.  Yet, I believe you are at peace, and I am grateful.  

Love, 
Sue Ann    
 

No comments:

Post a Comment