Sunday, June 24, 2018

Red Brocade (sort of)

T​his delightful poem came to me through the New York Times ​Cooking column. Yes, quite surprising, but we live in an age that seems to call for a good measure of poetry. Isn't a red brocade pillow wonderful to imagine?  I do not have many photographs that highlight the color red; it is not an easy color to capture with my aging camera that also makes phone calls. However, I do think this pansy might make a lovely place to rest and get to know someone over a cup of tea.      


Have a beautiful week.  Let's defy the gravity of politics and keep reaching out to one another.        

Red Brocade

The Arabs used to say,
When a stranger appears at your door,
feed him for three days
before asking who he is,
where he’s come from,
where he’s headed.
That way, he’ll have strength
enough to answer.
Or, by then you’ll be
such good friends
you don’t care.

Let’s go back to that.
Rice? Pine nuts?
Here, take the red brocade pillow.
My child will serve water
to your horse.

No, I was not busy when you came!
I was not preparing to be busy.
That’s the armor everyone put on
to pretend they had a purpose
in the world.

I refuse to be claimed.
Your plate is waiting.
We will snip fresh mint
into your tea.

​    


Naomi Shihab Nye  





No comments:

Post a Comment